A restaurant-style hibachi dinner complete with fried rice, tender chicken, veggies, and slightly spicy mustard sauce.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Servings 6
- Calories 891 kcal
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil divided
- 12 tablespoons soy sauce divided
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil divided
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 2 eggs large
- 4 cups rice cooked, cool to the touch
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice fresh
- 1 zucchini large, quartered and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 white onion large, halved and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms about 8 ounces, quartered
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds preferably lightly toasted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2018 Che Fico Pinot Grigio Riserva click to buy
- 2018 Che Fico Nero di Troia click to buy
- Make the fried rice: Heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil on medium high in a large skillet or wok. Add diced onion and frozen vegetables, and sauté until onions are almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Move the vegetables to the side of pan.
- Crack eggs into pan and scramble with a spatula until cooked through and fully scrambled. Add 4 cups cooked rice and 4 tablespoons butter. Cook for 5 minutes and stir frequently. Add 4 tablespoons soy sauce and cook 1 additional minute. Pack fried rice firmly into bowls to keep hot.
- Make the chicken and vegetables at the same time.
- For the chicken: Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil and 1 tablespoon avocado oil in same skillet or wok used for fried rice. Add chicken, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon butter, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to skillet. Cook chicken until it is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Stir only once or twice so chicken will brown.
- For the vegetables: In a separate large skillet or wok, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil and 1 tablespoon avocado oil on medium high heat. Add sliced onion, baby bella mushrooms, zucchini, 1 tablespoon butter, salt, and pepper to skillet. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- For the mustard sauce: Lightly toast sesame seeds if desired. (See note.) Blend sesame seeds, dry mustard, 2 teaspoons honey, half and half, hot water, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and minced garlic in blender.
- For the best fried rice: Do not cook rice immediately before making fried rice. Leftover or precooked rice from the store works best.
- For mustard sauce: Lightly toasting sesame seeds will enhance the flavor, but it is not necessary. Mustard sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
- To make grain-free: Substitute rice with cauliflower rice.