Homemade molten lava cakes are way easier to make than you’d think, and that hot fudge oozing out is such a crowd pleaser! Don’t forget to serve with a scoop of ice cream!
Copycat Chili’s Molten Lava Cake
Molten Lava Cakes
- 1 Box Duncan Hines Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Vanilla Ice Cream , for serving
- Chocolate Shell Ice Cream Topping , for serving
- Caramel Sauce , for serving
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 12-oz. bag semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Cups Chocolate Chips (we do half milk, half semi-sweet or all semi-sweet)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
Make the Lava Cakes:
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry cake mix, eggs, sour cream, milk and oil.
- Spray a large Cupcake pan with nonstick spray and evenly distribute batter 3/4 way full. Bake according to package directions.
- Turn the cakes out onto their tops creating a “volcano” and allow to cool.
- Using a pairing or serrated knife, gently cut a hole out of the center without going clear to the bottom.
- Fill with hot fudge that is cool and then slice off the bottom circle of the piece of cake you removed and place it on the hot fudge hole like a lid.
- Freeze for 30 minutes, up to 2 days with plastic wrap over the pan of cakes.
- Remove the cakes from the freezer and reheat in the microwave until warm, about 30 seconds.
- Top with ice cream, caramel, and magic shell.
Make the Hot Fudge:
- Melt all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Continue to boil and stir for two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and continue to stir for one minute.
- Allow the fudge sauce to cool.
Make the Magic Shell:
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl along with the coconut oil and slowly heat for 30 second intervals, stirring often until melted.
- Serve over cold ice cream and it will harden.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!